December 26, 2005

The Ten-Year Itch

As historyofcuba.com approaches its tenth year, I can’t help thinking about how much has changed and how much hasn’t.

Ten years ago the Internet didn’t exist as a popular term. It was simply the Information Superhighway, and Netscape was smart-choice browser. Today, the Internet is the media of choice and has grown to 1 billion users.

Ten years ago I didn’t think for a second that the embargo could or would last another decade.

In ten years I purchased 5 different versions of Microsoft Word for Windows! I did well in one presidential election and not so well in the other two. I witnessed Peter Jackson overthrow George Lucas from the throne, as my hair lost a couple of points in the Ansel Adams Zone System.

Of course, I had interests other than Cuban history books and Ridley Scott movies, and I noticed, as do most, that the older you are, the faster a decade goes by.

Here’s wishing for open, honest, peaceful relations between Cuba and the U.S. in the next ten years, something that has never existed in the 500-plus year history of one and the 230-year history of the other.

It’s never too late to start a new trend.

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home